Looking for someone or a couple who would like to come and stay in rural Bulgaria for around 5 to 6 months (from around end of April through to October) and dog sit for us while we travel but also help care for foster dogs as we run a small charity rescuing, rehabilitating and re-homing stray dogs.
This house sit is maybe a little different to others in that you will be accommodated in our guest house next door to us so will have your own space and garden. We will not be away for the whole 6 months but do travel fairly often and would like the opportunity to do so more. But we have 5 of our own dogs, all rescued from the street and we run a small dog charity called Twitchynoses, and often take in foster dogs if we find dogs in a bad way on the street, so the number of dogs we care for can change daily. We do not tend to have more than 4 or 5 fosters at a time but these can be dogs needing daily treatment and care.
So maybe one week every month we might need to travel. Sometimes we will take the one or two of our dogs with us. We may just go off camping for a couple of nights, or we may go for longer but would like the freedom to be able to go off and visit places we have not had the opportunity to do so yet and visit friends. We also run neutering campaigns around the country and we are involved in a shelter close to Sofia so the charity work takes us away from time to time.
When we are around and if we have no plans to go away it will be no problem for you to go off and explore more of the country.
A good friend also runs a dog charity in partnership with us and so she may need a house sitter from time to time (usually when she drives dogs back to the UK for us) and so there would be the opportunity to house and dog sit for her every now and then and see a different part of Bulgaria.
ALSO : If you would like to "try us out" for a few days or a week before hand we are currently in Austria in the mountains and would welcome the opportunity to go and explore a bit 'sans' dogs. Dates flexible - any time from now until middle of March. Come meet us, meet the dogs, get an idea of what might be involved but dogs would need walking here, although doesn't have to be every day as we do have a garden they go out and play in.
P.S I know its rather garbled and a lot so feel free to ask any questions!!!
- Caring for our dogs (we have 5 and there maybe be various foster dogs). They do not need walking as we have a large secure garden so it tends to be letting out in morning, feeding, cleaning up after them, keeping an eye on them during the day and then feeding at night and putting away. Our dogs sleep in the house, the foster dogs are kennelled outside.
- Sometimes various dogs do not get on with others and so going out in the garden might need to be on rotation but this does not happen often.
- Any daily treatment required for foster dogs
- Watering plants and possibly cutting grass if needed
- Cleaning pool
If you wished you could be involved with helping us renovate an old barn and house next door, build more dog kennels, build dog kennels from scrap wood lying around for local shelters etc. Much depends on how involved you would like to be with the rescue.
- Traditional Bulgarian village, there are a couple of shops, little bar.
- The guest house is a large 4 bedroom house but downstairs is a self-contained one bedroom flat with en-suite wet room. There is a basic kitchen. Large secure garden. Upstairs (it is external stairs as is normal in Bulgaria) with 3 bedrooms and bathroom. All bills would be paid....
- You would need to by your own food and drink but its very cheap in Bulgaria. A car would be recommended but not necessary.
- We should have our pool up so welcome to use that.
- Our place is in the Valley of the Roses and Valley of the Thracian kings so there is loads to do and see, lots of good walking in the mountains, good fishing close by (don't personally fish), lots of spa resorts near by and two large lakes. Close to various historical places and cities for day trips and can go by bus or train.
- Ideal for anyone that wants some time out to maybe just read, paint, photograph or relax. Or alternatively if you want to be more active there is plenty to do building wise.
We are looking for long term, 5 or 6 months ideally. Must be happy with your own company as it is fairly rural and not many people speak English. Great for anyone that just wants to relax, read books, artists etc...