Skip to Content Skip to Sitemap

Help Centre

House sitting

Is house sitting considered as a job for VISA purposes? Do I need a working or tourist VISA when travelling overseas?

This is a very difficult question to answer, as visa requirements differ between countries. 

In general, house sitting could be classified as a job if you are charging for your house sitting services and therefore earning an income. If however you don't charge for house sitting, then a tourist visa should suffice (as house sitting is a free exchange of services) for most countries. 

A few countries, however may take a harder line (eg. United States) and may consider all types of house sitting (ie. no charges) to be defined as a job, requiring a working VISA. 

Regarding specific countries, the best advice that we can give is to visit the country's immigration department website and make an online enquiry.